- WINNER Parents' Choice Gold Award
- WINNER Newbery Medal 1998 (for Maniac Magee)
- WINNER Newbery Honor Book 1998 (for Wringer)
FRIENDSHIP | OUTSIDERS | SCHOOL
- Love, Stargirl (Alfred A. Knopf 2007) sequel that can't capture the charm oft he original.
- Smiles to Go (Joanna Cotler Books 2008) Will's obsession to kiss Mi-Su and find out about protons.
- FREDERICKS, Mariah: The True Meaning of Cleavage (Simon Pulse 2004)
- LIMB, Sue: Girls, Guilty But Somehow Glorious (Bloomsbury 2007)
- SACHAR, Louis: Small Steps (Delacorte Press 2006)
- SHELDON, Dyan: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (Candlewick Press 2004)
- WALLIAMS, David: Mr Stink (HarperCollins 2009)
- WILSON, Jacqueline: The Girls Series (Corgi 1997-2002)
- Friends (TV series, 1994-2004) The lives of six friends living in Manhattan. Most popular sitcom back then.
- When Harry Met Sally (1989) Long-time friends fall in love.
- Stand By Me (1986) Boyhood friends set out to find the body of a dead boy.
- HOSSEINI, Khaled: The Kite Runner (Riverhead 2003)
- MISTY, Rohinton: A Fine Balance (McClelland and Stewart 1995)
- McCARTHY, Mary: The Group (1963)
- STEINBECK, John: Of Mice and Men (Covici Friede 1937)